In the mid 1600s two Frenchmen, the grandly named Médard Chouart, Sieur des Groseilliers (1618-1696) and his brother-in-law Pierre Ésprit Radisson (c. 1640-1710), were exploring the vast interior of what is now northern Canada. Working their way inland via the many rivers that flow into Hudson Bay, they came across a wealth of fur, in particular on a rodent with a large paddle-shaped tail and prominent teeth. “Ideal for coats,” they reported, and went to find a backer. Their fellow countrymen in Québec and France showed little interest but the English settlers were far more receptive. 

The two intrepid trappers travelled to England and managed to gain an audience with the king, Charles II.  He agreed to finance an expedition into the area north of Lake Superior to search for the famed fur.  Chouart’s and Radisson’s trip proved a complete success: they returned with a large quantity of beaver pelts with the promise of more, along with information on potential trading routes. On May 2nd 1670 Charles II signed a Royal Charter which granted exclusive trading rights of the Hudson Bay watershed to “the Governor and Company of Adventurers of England trading into Hudson Bay.”  Thus the oldest trading company in North America was born.

Given the land they were had rights to was fifteen times the size of Great Britain, the Company established a series of forts along the Hudson Bay coastline. Some developed into important cities such as Winnipeg and Calgary. With those in place they could begin dealing with the local Cree, but if they assumed this would be straightforward they would be disappointed.

It took time to develop a protocol with First Nations people. Business began with the passing around of the ceremonial pipe. If the Cree left the pipe at the fort that indicated they would return the following year. Once the usual exchange of gifts was over they could begin bargaining. Firearms were what the locals wanted and not any old musket. "The guns are bad," one Cree trading captain complained. "Let us trade light guns, small in the hand, and well shaped, with locks that will not freeze in the winter.” To ensure the Cree got what they wanted arms manufacturers in Sheffield began to make weaponry to the Cree’s specifications. Later the Cree took a liking to the Hudson’s Bay Company blanket.  

Originally made in Oxfordshire, this distinctive four-stripe textile features points, or small black bars on the side, which were used during the fur trade as an indication of size - a measure that continues to this day. The four primary colours, green, red, yellow and indigo were introduced at the end of the eighteenth century and chosen because they were popular and easily produced using good colourfast dyes.  It continues to be one of the Company’s best sellers. 

In return the traders received seven prime beaver pelts for a blanket or fourteen pelts for a gun. The under wool of the beaver was particularly sought after. Its soft, dense fur, closest to the animal’s skin, was perfect for making the hats which so fashionable in Europe - much to the puzzlement of the native Americans, who used every part of the rodent to make weaponry and cutlery. We know that Samuel Pepys was aware of the fur’s qualities. He wrote in his diary on 27th June 1662: ‘Mr Holden sent me a bever (sic), which cost me £4 5s.’, while on 17th August 1663 an entry reads, ‘This day at Mrs. Holden’s I found my new low crowned beaver [fur hat] according to the present fashion made, and will be sent home to-morrow.’  


The Company, however, had much more of a presence in London than must-have millinery.  The first address mentioned is in the minutes of 30th December 1682, which cites the leased premises of Scriveners’ Hall, which once stood at the corner of Noble Street and Oat Lane.

Over the next couple of centuries the company used other locations, including 3-4 Fenchurch Street and 1 Lime Street, both of which were near the East India Company’s headquarters. Peter C. Newman writes about the Company premises on Fenchurch Street in Company of Adventurers, detailing how it was “across the road from the Elephant Inn, where the painter William Hogarth in his apprentice years paid his rent with four murals in the tap room - one of his subjects being The Hudson’s Bay Company’s Porters Going to Dinner.” 

In the 1920s the Company moved to 60-64 Bishopsgate, to a new building designed by Mewes and Davis. Though gutted and rebuilt Hudson’s Bay House’s 1926 façade remains, with reliefs of North American imagery, including snow shoes, quivers and moose antlers. More noticeable is the weather vane in the shape of a gold beaver on top of its cupola, which can be clearly seen as you walk along Bishopsgate towards Leathersellers’ Hall. 

In that decade the Company sought further expansion, so set up offices in Great Trinity Lane, off Garlick Hill. Nearby was Skinners’ Hall, so its location was ideal, and today the Pelt Trader pub in Dowgate is testament to the area’s heritage. The area around Skinners’ Lane and Miniver Place (miniver is a type of fur from the winter coat of the red squirrel) was well known for the fur trade, with pelts and skins being offloaded at Queenhithe - you can see these depicted in the Queenhithe Mosaic.


The Company sold Hudson's Bay House after the Second World War and continued to use Beaver House as its main headquarters. Then in 1970, to coincide with its 300th anniversary, The Queen granted the Company a new charter. That year they quit London and moved the head office to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Today the Company has much changed. It’s now one of Canada’s largest businesses, employing over 40,000 workers and based in Brampton, Ontario. Its main focus is retail, with a string of department stores across Canada and the U.S., which include  Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord + Taylor and its flagship Hudson’s Bay.  You’ll be relieved to know the online shop no longer sells beaver pelts but there are plenty of woollen blankets and other memorabilia to choose from. 

Little did Choart and Radisson imagine that their venture 350 years ago would develop into such a substantial operation that’s still going strong well into the 21st century - or indeed that the latter would give his name to a swish hotel chain.

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to:

Have something to say? Leave a comment below.

Leave a comment   Like   Back to Top   Seen 0 times   Liked 0 times

Subscribe to Updates

If you enjoyed this, why not subscribe to free email updates ?

Subscribe to Blog updates

Enter your email address to be notified of new posts:

Subscribe to:

Alternatively, you can subscribe via RSS RSS

‹ Return to Blog

We never share or sell your email address to anyone.

I've already subscribed / don't show me this again

Recent Posts

A Bridge over Hammersmith

| 04th April 2020 | History

A Bridge over Hammersmith

Currently closed for 3 years, Hammersmith Bridge is one of London’s most attractive crossings. There’s been a bridge connecting Hammersmith and Barnes for nearly 200 years, and ever since the first one was opened in 1827 there have been complaints about its strength. With Hammersmith becoming an important agricultural and industrial part of west London there had been an increasing need to add more river crossings. With this in mind the authorities turned to local engineer William Tierney Clark, who’s best known for the Széchenyi Chain Bridge that spans the Danube in Budapest. Even at the start of the work, when the Duke of Sussex blessed the bridge, there were concerns about the bridge’s capacity to take weight. This came to a climax in 1870 when some 10,000 people gathered on the bridge to witness the annual University Boat Race. Newspapers reported ‘the shameful overcrowding’ as the bridge swayed. There was only one solution: build a stronger, safer structure. This time they turned to Sir Joseph Bazalgette, the go-to engineer most famous for designing London’s sewer system. Work began on the new bridge in 1884 and was completed in 1887, with the Prince of Wales officially opening the bridge on 11 June of that year.  While Bazalgette’s new bridge was being constructed, a temporary bridge was erected alongside it to allow traffic to continue crossing the river between Hammersmith and Barnes. A group of people living in Barnes, concerned about the difficulties they would face to reach Hammersmith while the suspension bridge  was being redeveloped, campaigned for the temporary bridge to be provided, but a letter from a Barnes resident printed in the London Evening Standard on 3 December 1885 gives us an insight into locals’ experiences with this temporary bridge: “Sir, May I inquire, through your journal, how much longer the public is expected to tolerate the miserable and disgraceful condition of the Bridge erected over the Thames at Hammersmith for use during the closing of the old Suspension Bridge.” Since its construction Hammersmith Bridge has had an eventful history.  Near midnight on 27 December 1919, a Lieutenant Charles Campbell  Wood from Bloemfontein in South Africa, dived into the Thames from the upstream footway of Hammersmith Bridge to rescue a drowning woman. They both survived the ordeal, but Campbell Wood died of tetanus contracted from his injuries, and died two weeks later. His bravery is commemorated with a plaque on Hammersmith Bridge. It’s also been the target of the IRA no less than 3 times. In 1939 a bomb was spotted by Maurice Childs, a hairdresser from Chiswick. Walking home at one in the morning, Childs spotted a smoking suitcase lying on the bridge's walkway. He quickly threw the bag in the river: the resulting explosion sent up a 18m column of water. Moments later, a second device exploded causing girders on the west side of the bridge to collapse. Childs was later awarded an MBE for his quick-thinking.  Naturally so photogenic a bridge has been a popular location for film makers, including Sliding Doors, Theatre of Blood, Night and the City, Repulsion, and Martha, Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence. Let’s hope we can enjoy the bridge for many years to come.  ...

A Bit of Bishopsgate

| 05th March 2020 | Design

A Bit of Bishopsgate

Visit the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington and, among its many treasures, you’ll find a rare survival of pre-Great Fire architecture from the City of London. Peter Pindar’s house originally stood on Bishopsgate, about where Liverpool Street Station now stands. When the station was developed the Chairman and Directors of the Great Eastern Railway Company gave it to the museum.  It’s made of oak and dates from around 1600, when merchant Paul Pindar had it built - more of him later. The impressive full-height windows would have originally been glazed, either with imported glass or local greenish glass. The semi-circular window shape was a type used in grand houses since the 1530s. The storeys project over the one beneath, a feature known as ‘jettying’, a design common in English timber houses from the 1300s. ‘Grotesque’ brackets would have been added to  support the jettying. The panels used to decorate the house were a new concept in design and probably could have been chosen from pattern books. They’re quite thick, 7.5cm deep, and again, made from solid oak, carved and nailed onto the oak framework. You can see the arms of the City of London in the centre; also look for the thistle - in reference to the new king, James I. Pindar would have used the standard London practice of using a pre-assembled timber frame, as it was quicker and cheaper than brick or stone. The timbers would have been measured and cut in the carpenter’s yard, then assembled on the spot, using mortice and tenon joints, and fastened using pegs. You can see some of the carpenter’s marks on the timber. What is extraordinary is that modern buildings in the City are still constructed in a similar way! As the streets are still so narrow, it’s easier to pre-fabricate much of the building off-site, ship it in and build upwards. In medieval times you would have visited  Wood Street, off Cheapside, to get your Ikea-style house. Evidence suggests that the exterior was painted in glossy red-brown and contrasting pale stone paint but this was removed in the 1890s.  Very much a feature on houses after the Great Fire of 1666, which burnt some 80% of the City of London (but not this area of London) are insurance marks. One belonged to the Hand-in-Hand Insurance Society and was issued on the 31st July 1738: "Policy No. 65010. MARY GRIMSTONE of St. Geo: Hanover Square. Widow on a House valued £100 Brick and £250 Timber on ye West Side of Bishopsgate Street and on ye South Side of Half Moon Alley in ye parish of St. Botolph, Bishopsgate, being a Corner House and known by ye Sign of ye Paul Pindars Head Ale House in poss.en of HENRY HIXON. [total] £350’. Paul Pindar himself was a wealthy merchant and diplomat who was born about 1565. He spent much of his early life abroad but as he approached old age he retired to London and made use of his considerable wealth by contributing to the rebuilding of St Paul’s Cathedral. The Civil War ruined Pindar and he died in debt around 1650. In 1597 he bought a considerable plot in Bishopsgate Without - that is to say, outside the City walls, just beyond the church of St Botolph, Bishopsgate. 400 years ago this was a major road out of the City, paved no less.  In estate agent terms it was close to all modern conveniences: just a 20-minute walk to St Paul’s Cathedral, the shops on Cheapside and the new Royal Exchange on Cornhill. The 3-storey house also had an attractive garden which overlooked the open land of Moorfields and Finsbury Fields. In those days Pindar’s house would have stood out as one of the finest houses in London. Indeed, it was used by the Venetian ambassador in 1617-18, whose chaplain described it as ‘a very commodious mansion’. By 1660 it had already been divided up and soon given over to the London workhouse. By the time it was demolished the house had become the Paul Pindar’s Head pub and stood between a coffeehou...

Can City

| 28th February 2020 | Business

Can City

London loves to give its skyscrapers nicknames, and one of the newest has been christened the ‘Can of Ham’. Its actual name is 70 St Mary Axe, and even that street has an interesting derivation. The Can of Ham has been designed by Foggo Associates, whose distinctive work can also be seen above Cannon Street Station and along Queen Victoria Street. Their latest construction has been designed in response to local views and comprises 24 floors and 28,000 square metres of office space. Its unique design could be said to incorporate just 3 facades and no roof; instead, curved glass and anodised aluminium wrap around the building - almost like a tin (of ham).  With ecological matters at the forefront the Can can boast some very green credentials, with borehole thermal energy and vertical shading fins added to the sides to make the most of the sun. Workers are encouraged to cycle in, and 328 bicycle spaces, 360 lockers and 32 showers have been provided. At present you can gain access to the foyer - and it’s well worth doing so. The polite security guards even give you a booklet all about Foggo. Sidley Austin, a US-based law firm have moved in. It is hoped the public will be able to get to the gallery terrace on the 21st floor, as the Corporation is keen for new builds to have some open access. As for the name of St Mary Axe? It comes from the church of St Mary Axe - or to give its full name:  St Mary the Virgin and St Ursula and the Eleven Thousand Virgins - which no longer exists.  The church is said to have possessed one of the three axes with which the maidens were beheaded by Attila the Hun. The church was suppressed in the 1560s and all that’s left is a commemorative plaque. ...

Hammersmith Schools for Boys

| 06th January 2020 | Education

Hammersmith Schools for Boys

Renowned actors, sportsmen and musicians have been educated in Hammersmith. Earlier this month a group of 30 followed me along the River Thames to learn about some former pupils of Latymer School and St Paul’s School. Latymer Upper School is nearly 400 years old, having been founded in 1624 by Edward Latymer (1557-1627). A prosperous lawyer, he eft part of wealth for the clothing and education of “eight poor boys” from Hammersmith. The clothing, which included a doublet, a pair of breeches, a shirt incorporated a red cross on the left sleeve, a pair of woollen stockings and shoes, was to be distributed twice a year on Ascension Day and All Saints Day.The boys were to learn reading in English and 'God's true religion' at existing petty schools, where they were to remain until the age of 13.  Its motto was paulatim ergo certe (‘Slowly therefore surely’), incorporating his name. Latymer was the son of an Ipswich cleric, who later became Treasurer of Westminster Abbey. Edward went to St John’s College, Cambridge and eventually became a wealthy lawyer. He purchased manor of Butterwick in Hammersmith but lived mostly near St Dunstan-in-the-West ‘at the sign of the Cock’, where he died in 1627. He never married, had no children and left most of his money to the parish of Hammersmith. Latimer Road Tube station and Latymer Roads and Court named after him. The school was initially at Fulham but by 1863 it moved to King Street, Hammersmith. In 1950s it became a direct grant grammar school, with many pupils’ fees paid by local government but became fully private in 1975. Famous people who went there include: Music: two members of White Lies; jazz musician Cliff Townsend, father of Pete; Sport: rugby player Dan Luger; bowler and cricket correspondent Simon Hughes; Politics: MPs Andy Slaughter MP for Hammersmith; Others: Heston Blumenthal, Lily Cole, Milton Jones; Film and theatre: Ian McKellen’s uncle teacher; Mel Smith, Alan Rickman and Hugh Grant.  St Paul's School was founded by the Dean of St Paul’s, John Colet (1467-1519). A son of a Mercer who was twice Lord Mayor, he was the only surviving child of 21 siblings. He founded St Paul’s School in 1509, then  the largest school in England. In the 16th century it was usual for school governance to be entrusted to the Church, but Colet believed that “he yet found the least corruption” in married laymen. He therefore chose “the most honest and faithfull felowshipp of the mercers of London” the premier guild of the City of London – of which his father had been a leading member – as “patrones and defenders governours and Rulers” of his new school. The Mercers’ Company still appoints governors of school and has strong links. Under Colet’s statutes, there were to be 153 scholars (a reference to the miraculous draught of fishes, St John XXI, 11) “of all countres and nacions indifferently”. Their High Master paid 13/6 weekly, twice the wage of Eton College. Scholars were taught for free but were required to be literate and to provide own candles. An early Master was Richard Mulcaster in 1580s. His description in positions of “footeball” as a ferried team sport is the earliest reference to organised modern football - considered the father of modern soccer. The school moved to Hammersmith 1884 then to a 45-acre site in Barnes in 1968, where it's been ever since. The site was traditionally the site of a reservoir, filled in it is said by spoil from Victoria Line.              ...