Tower Bridge is one of the most famous bridges in the world, and behind its iconic structure lies an amazing story.

In the late 19th century London had grown to a city of 6 million, with a third of them living in the East End. To cross the river was a real problem - it still is - with the building of a foot tunnel by the Tower of London wholly inadequate. To solve the problem a competition was launched to design a bridge that had a clearance of 9 metres, so masted ships could pass beneath it and reach the Pool of London . The winners were Sir Horace Jones (who happened to be on the selection committee) and Sir John Wolfe Barry, son of Sir Charles.

Their ingenious design is made from steel, with brick and Portland stone covering the metalwork. The solid piers took 4 years to build and involved employing divers, who were sent down to level the river bed. The work was hazardous and 5 workers lost their lives, but compared to other huge projects at that time fatalities were very light. The steel components were made in Glasgow and shipped down in 5 ton segments, so the gas-powered lifts could manage the weight.

Scotsmen were also responsible for its construction too, using their experience and expertise from building the recent Forth Railway Bridge. Tower Bridge finally opened in 1894 at a cost of £1.1m. The bridge is a mix of brilliant engineering: part suspension, part cantilever and part box girder. It works on a bascule system (French for see-saw), using steam-driven hydraulics to raise or lower the roadway.  Nowadays electricity is used. The whole system takes just 90 seconds to open. In its first year Tower Bridge was lifted 6,100 times and even today it’s used over 1,000 times a year. When it opened the walkway above the road proved popular with all sorts of people, including pickpockets and ‘women who should know better’, so it was decided to close it. The walkway reopened only recently, with a new £900,000 glass floor - almost as much as the original cost of the whole bridge. 

In 1912 Frank McClair flew a biplane between it, while in 1952 a No. 78 bus crossed the roadway just as it was being raised. The driver stepped on the accelerator and jumped the gap, his quick reactions saving all the passengers and earning him a reward of £10! Before the bridge was built an 1885 Act decreed that river traffic should always have right of way and it still does. Not even the most powerful man in the world can alter that, as President Bill Clinton learnt in 1997. After an enjoyable evening meal at the Oxo Tower, spent in the company of Prime Minister Tony Blair, the 4-car motorcade got split, with the first 3 cars crossing the bridge before the road was raised, leaving the US President stranded on the southern side. Frantic phone calls to the operator demanding the bridge to be lowered fell on deaf ears - he was a retired sergeant major - and Clinton had to wait patiently for normal service to be resumed. 

Tower Bridge is open every day and well worth visiting. The views are spectacular! You can also buy a combined ticket for the Monument - another gem. And for the romantically inclined, you can also get married on it but only on the northern side!

    

 

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to:

Have something to say? Leave a comment below.

Leave a comment   Like   Back to Top   Seen 0 times   Liked 0 times

Subscribe to Updates

If you enjoyed this, why not subscribe to free email updates ?

Subscribe to Blog updates

Enter your email address to be notified of new posts:

Subscribe to:

Alternatively, you can subscribe via RSS RSS

‹ Return to Blog

We never share or sell your email address to anyone.

I've already subscribed / don't show me this again

Recent Posts

Bay of Plenty

| 12th May 2020 | History

Bay of Plenty

In the mid 1600s two Frenchmen, the grandly named Médard Chouart, Sieur des Groseilliers (1618-1696) and his brother-in-law Pierre Ésprit Radisson (c. 1640-1710), were exploring the vast interior of what is now northern Canada. Working their way inland via the many rivers that flow into Hudson Bay, they came across a wealth of fur, in particular on a rodent with a large paddle-shaped tail and prominent teeth. “Ideal for coats,” they reported, and went to find a backer. Their fellow countrymen in Québec and France showed little interest but the English settlers were far more receptive.  The two intrepid trappers travelled to England and managed to gain an audience with the king, Charles II.  He agreed to finance an expedition into the area north of Lake Superior to search for the famed fur.  Chouart’s and Radisson’s trip proved a complete success: they returned with a large quantity of beaver pelts with the promise of more, along with information on potential trading routes. On May 2nd 1670 Charles II signed a Royal Charter which granted exclusive trading rights of the Hudson Bay watershed to “the Governor and Company of Adventurers of England trading into Hudson Bay.”  Thus the oldest trading company in North America was born. Given the land they were had rights to was fifteen times the size of Great Britain, the Company established a series of forts along the Hudson Bay coastline. Some developed into important cities such as Winnipeg and Calgary. With those in place they could begin dealing with the local Cree, but if they assumed this would be straightforward they would be disappointed. It took time to develop a protocol with First Nations people. Business began with the passing around of the ceremonial pipe. If the Cree left the pipe at the fort that indicated they would return the following year. Once the usual exchange of gifts was over they could begin bargaining. Firearms were what the locals wanted and not any old musket. "The guns are bad," one Cree trading captain complained. "Let us trade light guns, small in the hand, and well shaped, with locks that will not freeze in the winter.” To ensure the Cree got what they wanted arms manufacturers in Sheffield began to make weaponry to the Cree’s specifications. Later the Cree took a liking to the Hudson’s Bay Company blanket.   Originally made in Oxfordshire, this distinctive four-stripe textile features points, or small black bars on the side, which were used during the fur trade as an indication of size - a measure that continues to this day. The four primary colours, green, red, yellow and indigo were introduced at the end of the eighteenth century and chosen because they were popular and easily produced using good colourfast dyes.  It continues to be one of the Company’s best sellers.  In return the traders received seven prime beaver pelts for a blanket or fourteen pelts for a gun. The under wool of the beaver was particularly sought after. Its soft, dense fur, closest to the animal’s skin, was perfect for making the hats which so fashionable in Europe - much to the puzzlement of the native Americans, who used every part of the rodent to make weaponry and cutlery. We know that Samuel Pepys was aware of the fur’s qualities. He wrote in his diary on 27th June 1662: ‘Mr Holden sent me a bever (sic), which cost me £4 5s.’, while on 17th August 1663 an entry reads, ‘This day at Mrs. Holden’s I found my new low crowned beaver [fur hat] according to the present fashion made, and will be sent home to-morrow.’     The Company, however, had much more of a presence in London than must-have millinery.  The first address mentioned is in the minutes of 30th December 1682, which cites the leased premises of Scriveners’ Hall, which once stood at the corner of Noble Street and Oat Lane. Over the next couple of centuries the company used other locations, including 3-4 Fenchurch Street and 1 Lime ...

A Bridge over Hammersmith

| 04th April 2020 | History

A Bridge over Hammersmith

Currently closed for 3 years, Hammersmith Bridge is one of London’s most attractive crossings. There’s been a bridge connecting Hammersmith and Barnes for nearly 200 years, and ever since the first one was opened in 1827 there have been complaints about its strength. With Hammersmith becoming an important agricultural and industrial part of west London there had been an increasing need to add more river crossings. With this in mind the authorities turned to local engineer William Tierney Clark, who’s best known for the Széchenyi Chain Bridge that spans the Danube in Budapest. Even at the start of the work, when the Duke of Sussex blessed the bridge, there were concerns about the bridge’s capacity to take weight. This came to a climax in 1870 when some 10,000 people gathered on the bridge to witness the annual University Boat Race. Newspapers reported ‘the shameful overcrowding’ as the bridge swayed. There was only one solution: build a stronger, safer structure. This time they turned to Sir Joseph Bazalgette, the go-to engineer most famous for designing London’s sewer system. Work began on the new bridge in 1884 and was completed in 1887, with the Prince of Wales officially opening the bridge on 11 June of that year.  While Bazalgette’s new bridge was being constructed, a temporary bridge was erected alongside it to allow traffic to continue crossing the river between Hammersmith and Barnes. A group of people living in Barnes, concerned about the difficulties they would face to reach Hammersmith while the suspension bridge  was being redeveloped, campaigned for the temporary bridge to be provided, but a letter from a Barnes resident printed in the London Evening Standard on 3 December 1885 gives us an insight into locals’ experiences with this temporary bridge: “Sir, May I inquire, through your journal, how much longer the public is expected to tolerate the miserable and disgraceful condition of the Bridge erected over the Thames at Hammersmith for use during the closing of the old Suspension Bridge.” Since its construction Hammersmith Bridge has had an eventful history.  Near midnight on 27 December 1919, a Lieutenant Charles Campbell  Wood from Bloemfontein in South Africa, dived into the Thames from the upstream footway of Hammersmith Bridge to rescue a drowning woman. They both survived the ordeal, but Campbell Wood died of tetanus contracted from his injuries, and died two weeks later. His bravery is commemorated with a plaque on Hammersmith Bridge. It’s also been the target of the IRA no less than 3 times. In 1939 a bomb was spotted by Maurice Childs, a hairdresser from Chiswick. Walking home at one in the morning, Childs spotted a smoking suitcase lying on the bridge's walkway. He quickly threw the bag in the river: the resulting explosion sent up a 18m column of water. Moments later, a second device exploded causing girders on the west side of the bridge to collapse. Childs was later awarded an MBE for his quick-thinking.  Naturally so photogenic a bridge has been a popular location for film makers, including Sliding Doors, Theatre of Blood, Night and the City, Repulsion, and Martha, Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence. Let’s hope we can enjoy the bridge for many years to come.  ...

A Bit of Bishopsgate

| 05th March 2020 | Design

A Bit of Bishopsgate

Visit the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington and, among its many treasures, you’ll find a rare survival of pre-Great Fire architecture from the City of London. Peter Pindar’s house originally stood on Bishopsgate, about where Liverpool Street Station now stands. When the station was developed the Chairman and Directors of the Great Eastern Railway Company gave it to the museum.  It’s made of oak and dates from around 1600, when merchant Paul Pindar had it built - more of him later. The impressive full-height windows would have originally been glazed, either with imported glass or local greenish glass. The semi-circular window shape was a type used in grand houses since the 1530s. The storeys project over the one beneath, a feature known as ‘jettying’, a design common in English timber houses from the 1300s. ‘Grotesque’ brackets would have been added to  support the jettying. The panels used to decorate the house were a new concept in design and probably could have been chosen from pattern books. They’re quite thick, 7.5cm deep, and again, made from solid oak, carved and nailed onto the oak framework. You can see the arms of the City of London in the centre; also look for the thistle - in reference to the new king, James I. Pindar would have used the standard London practice of using a pre-assembled timber frame, as it was quicker and cheaper than brick or stone. The timbers would have been measured and cut in the carpenter’s yard, then assembled on the spot, using mortice and tenon joints, and fastened using pegs. You can see some of the carpenter’s marks on the timber. What is extraordinary is that modern buildings in the City are still constructed in a similar way! As the streets are still so narrow, it’s easier to pre-fabricate much of the building off-site, ship it in and build upwards. In medieval times you would have visited  Wood Street, off Cheapside, to get your Ikea-style house. Evidence suggests that the exterior was painted in glossy red-brown and contrasting pale stone paint but this was removed in the 1890s.  Very much a feature on houses after the Great Fire of 1666, which burnt some 80% of the City of London (but not this area of London) are insurance marks. One belonged to the Hand-in-Hand Insurance Society and was issued on the 31st July 1738: "Policy No. 65010. HON.able MARY GRIMSTONE of St. Geo: Hanover Square. Widow on a House valued £100 Brick and £250 Timber on ye West Side of Bishopsgate Street and on ye South Side of Half Moon Alley in ye parish of St. Botolph, Bishopsgate, being a Corner House and known by ye Sign of ye Paul Pindars Head Ale House in poss.en of HENRY HIXON. [total] £350’. Paul Pindar himself was a wealthy merchant and diplomat who was born about 1565. He spent much of his early life abroad but as he approached old age he retired to London and made use of his considerable wealth by contributing to the rebuilding of St Paul’s Cathedral. The Civil War ruined Pindar and he died in debt around 1650. In 1597 he bought a considerable plot in Bishopsgate Without - that is to say, outside the City walls, just beyond the church of St Botolph, Bishopsgate. 400 years ago this was a major road out of the City, paved no less.  In estate agent terms it was close to all modern conveniences: just a 20-minute walk to St Paul’s Cathedral, the shops on Cheapside and the new Royal Exchange on Cornhill. The 3-storey house also had an attractive garden which overlooked the open land of Moorfields and Finsbury Fields. In those days Pindar’s house would have stood out as one of the finest houses in London. Indeed, it was used by the Venetian ambassador in 1617-18, whose chaplain described it as ‘a very commodious mansion’. By 1660 it had already been divided up and soon given over to the London workhouse. By the time it was demolished the house had become the Paul Pindar’s Head pub and stood between a coffeehou...

Can City

| 28th February 2020 | Business

Can City

London loves to give its skyscrapers nicknames, and one of the newest has been christened the ‘Can of Ham’. Its actual name is 70 St Mary Axe, and even that street has an interesting derivation. The Can of Ham has been designed by Foggo Associates, whose distinctive work can also be seen above Cannon Street Station and along Queen Victoria Street. Their latest construction has been designed in response to local views and comprises 24 floors and 28,000 square metres of office space. Its unique design could be said to incorporate just 3 facades and no roof; instead, curved glass and anodised aluminium wrap around the building - almost like a tin (of ham).  With ecological matters at the forefront the Can can boast some very green credentials, with borehole thermal energy and vertical shading fins added to the sides to make the most of the sun. Workers are encouraged to cycle in, and 328 bicycle spaces, 360 lockers and 32 showers have been provided. At present you can gain access to the foyer - and it’s well worth doing so. The polite security guards even give you a booklet all about Foggo. Sidley Austin, a US-based law firm have moved in. It is hoped the public will be able to get to the gallery terrace on the 21st floor, as the Corporation is keen for new builds to have some open access. As for the name of St Mary Axe? It comes from the church of St Mary Axe - or to give its full name:  St Mary the Virgin and St Ursula and the Eleven Thousand Virgins - which no longer exists.  The church is said to have possessed one of the three axes with which the maidens were beheaded by Attila the Hun. The church was suppressed in the 1560s and all that’s left is a commemorative plaque. ...